We all work around the clock to build a comfortable space for ourselves — Our Home.
Home is our favorite place. We can finally relax after a hectic day at work or enjoy the little joys in life with our loved ones by celebrating our special occasions at home.
Even during rainy days, we can feel cozy and safe indoors. But what we don’t love are some of the lingering imprints rain can leave behind if the house is not property waterproofed – dark patches of mold, bubbling and discolored ceiling, the musty scent of moist wood and debris.
Not only do issues disrupt the aesthetic and potentially weaken the house structure, but they invite allergies and pests too.
Water seepage is a common problem in aging homes. Rain isn’t the only culprit. This issue can be caused by a bursting pipe, a clogged sewer line or leaky plumbing.
Let’s talk about the two primary categories of leakage.
- Active Sources
- Inactive Sources
Active sources are those easily found:
- Broken Pipes
- Water Ponding on the Roof
- Inadequate Flashing
- Improperly Sealed Wall Gaps
- Clogged Drains
Inactive sources are the hidden leakages and cracks:
- Stress Cracks
- Roof Gaps
- Boundary Frames
- Dripping Taps
- Antenna Drill Holes
- Leaking Water Tanks
- Accidental Cracks
- Neighboring areas attached to the building containing water, etc.
These sources might not always be easily identifiable by the homeowners.
How Can You Avoid Water Seepage?
The answer is Waterproofing.
Waterproofing is the systematic process of protecting the structure of a home by implementing various ways of water resistance. How is this done?
Here are some hacks you can implement to keep your home guarded against the effects of water seepage:
- Identi-spy: The first step is to identify the areas of leakage and the sources of it. You also need to recognize the amount of damage that has been done to perform the right action. Once you identify the complication and fix it, you also need to keep an eye on the status of the problematic area. Ensure the problem you fixed is resolved with a permanent solution.
- Fix What’s Crackin’: Fix and fill all the loose cracks in the walls or the ceiling. Cracks are a result of excessive strain and changing temperature. Thus, fix the cracks to avoid water seeping through them.
- Go Wireless: Get rid of open wires and frame them in the wall cavity to avoid unnecessary drywall holes.
- Check the Drain: Check if the drain is clogged or leaking. The waste in the drainage pipes can release odor and vapor, which, when seeps through, can produce humidity.
- Set-Up Waterproofing Membranes: This is an extensive approach to the waterproofing process and is quite effective. It envelops the entire building in a water repellent system.
- Wrap Up the Carpets: Roll up the detachable floorings and carpets to avoid mist and humidity from collecting on them. Dry them up in the sun to get rid of the smell and dampness.
Remember: This process must be performed on a regular basis.
- Water-Repellent Paint: By using water-repellent paints, you can protect your walls from absorbing moisture and losing their shine.
- Cleansing and Sanitation: Use high-quality cleansers to clean your home. This can protect your accessories from surfacing any mist and leave the house smelling fresh. Also, change your linens often to keep dirt and debris to a minimum.
Let’s Wrap It Up
Don’t know how to execute the process of waterproofing your home?
We are here to help!
We at the Property Twins can ensure the best waterproofing resources and services, and can provide you with the strong advice on intensive DIY protection and prevention tips.
Contact us now to book our service.
Simply get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us now at 408-800-2488.